Douglas Schneider is an experienced civil and criminal defense litigator. His civil practice focuses on employment discrimination and business litigation. He has obtained favorable results for clients in cases relating to employment discrimination, complex contract disputes, and business break-ups. In his active criminal defense practice Doug represents individuals charged with state and federal crimes as well those under investigation by New York State, New Jersey, and the federal government. He has a long record of success, including:
- A significant six-figure settlement from a fortune 500 company accused of discrimination on the basis of disability in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- A significant six-figure settlement from a private school accused of discriminating against a 63 year old teacher on the basis of her age in violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
- A $300,000 settlement for an event planning company in a complex contract dispute involving unpaid fees for professional services.
- A fully favorable decision from the Social Security Administration for a New York City police officer who had suffered a traumatic brain injury in the line of duty and whose ongoing benefits and past benefits were challenged by the Social Security Administration.
- A favorable settlement against a New York hospital accused of gender and pregnancy discrimination for firing his client while she was on approved maternity leave.
- A settlement on the eve of trial for a printing and promotions company that more than doubled the amount offered pre-suit. The breach of contract case was about animal crackers.
- A unanimous decision by an appellate court reversing the drug conviction of his client. The case was featured prominently on the front page of the New York Law Journal.
- An internal investigation that prevented his client from getting indicted in an insider trading case. Mr. Schneider’s successful defense of his client played a major role in U.S. v. Newman, which went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Dismissal of all charges against a building superintendent falsely accused of sexual misconduct by a disgruntled former employee.
- Dismissal of all burglary charges, and elimination of a prior conviction, for a client with a severe drug problem. Through Mr. Schneider’s representation, the client was given a clean record, completely recovered from his drug addiction, finished his education, and is gainfully employed.
Doug received his law degree from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where he served on the Cardozo Law Review and as a member of the Criminal Appeals Clinic. He is an honors graduate of Union College.
Doug practiced in the litigation department of Proskauer Rose, where he was part of a team that successfully represented the leaseholder of the World Trade Center in an appraisal proceeding arising from the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. Following his time at Proskauer, Mr. Schneider worked at a prominent boutique law firm where he represented individuals, corporations and organizations in a variety of matters including litigation, criminal investigations, and regulatory inquiries.
Mr. Schneider is admitted to practice in New York State, New Jersey, and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of New Jersey. Doug is an active member of several professional organizations, including the New York City Bar Association where he was appointed to serve a three-year term on the prestigious committee on ethics. Doug is also the current Democratic District Leader for the 44th Assembly in Brooklyn.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Criminal Defense
- Commercial Law
- Civil Litigation
- New Jersey, 2005
- New York, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2005
- Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. – 2005
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Dean’s Merit Scholar (2003-2005)
- Honors: Cardozo Service and Achievement Award (2005)
- Law Review: Cardozo Law Review, 2004 – 2005
- Union College, Schenectady, New York
- B.A. – 1998
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Honors: Dean’s List (1996-1998)
- Major: History and Theatre
- But I Was Just a Kid! Does Using Juvenile Adjudications to Enhance Adult Sentences Run Afoul of Apprendi v. New Jersey?
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of New York, Member
- State Bar of New Jersey, Member
- Democratic District Leader for the 44th Assembly in Brooklyn
- New York City Bar Association, Member
- Brooklyn Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Arkin Kaplan Rice LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
Attorney at Law
Competent, Caring and Highly Effective!
Doug is a fantastic lawyer and skillfully helped me navigate an exceptionally trying period of my life. He is candid, honest, and provided me with excellent advice. I cannot say enough about his integrity, work ethic, and genuine care for his clients. Doug allowed me to reclaim my life and I would recommend him to anyone who finds themselves in need of counsel.
Mr. Schneider was compassionate, timely and very responsive throughout my case. From the beginning I felt I was in the capable hands of a true professional who was not only caring and considerate but extremely intelligent.
You will not regret!!!!!
I had a great experience with Douglas Schneider as he was very clear and consistent when explaining the legal process and my rights. Douglas was able to answer all my questions and kept me informed about every step of my case. I highly recommend Douglas.